Position Category: Fundraising
Location: Atlanta, GA, Battle Creek, MI, or Washington DC preferred (willing to consider a remote option for the right candidate)
Position: Philanthropy Officer
Reports To: Executive Director
Since 1990, EARTH University’s mission has been to prepare young leaders to contribute to sustainable development and to construct a prosperous and just society. Students from nearly 40 countries complete a four-year undergraduate degree in agricultural sciences and natural resources management with an emphasis on ethical entrepreneurship. Currently, there are more than 2,600 graduates from this global institution, which is located in Costa Rica. Of these alumni, approximately 80 percent have returned to their native countries and are making significant contributions. EARTH’s ultimate goal is to provide students with the necessary skills and a unique vision that will enable them to return to their home countries, serve as catalysts for environmental change, and become leaders who make a lasting impact in their communities.
EARTH University Foundation is a 501(c)3 public charity that provides financial assistance and other support for the programs and initiatives of EARTH University. The Foundation is a fully integrated part of EARTH University; EARTH’s Global Development team includes staff who reside in the U.S. as well as in Costa Rica.
The Philanthropy Officer is an employee of EARTH University Foundation and reports to the Executive Director. S/he works to advance the mission, programs and vision of EARTH University through the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major gifts and grants from institutions and individuals. S/he is responsible for a portfolio of major gift prospects including foundations, government agencies, and individuals, with an important role in managing all aspects of EARTH’s relationship with the United States Agency for International Development. Together with the Executive Director, s/he will develop and implement strategic fundraising plans. S/he will strengthen existing donor relationships and develop new relationships with major gift prospects across North America.
- Identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and providing stewardship for a portfolio of governmental, foundation, and individual major donors to sustain and increase EARTH University’s relationships with donors across North America;
- Managing governmental funding relationships with international development agencies and embassies, particularly the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the American Schools and Hospitals Abroad (ASHA) initiative, by monitoring opportunities, preparing proposals and reports, stewarding grants, ensuring all project milestones and requirements are met, and overall contributing to maintaining and growing positive relationships with these important partners;
- Working with the Executive Director and the Manager of Prospect Research to identify and determine the capacity of current and prospective donors, securing personal visits, and developing relationships to ensure EARTH has an active pipeline of engaged donors;
- Developing appropriate donor strategies and stewardship plans for the major donors in her/his portfolio in coordination with the Manager of Donor Relations. This will ensure that each donor is kept informed in such a way that they understand the impact of their giving, the short- and long-term objectives of the University, and are encouraged to provide additional support;
- Inviting major individual donors and foundation representatives to visit the University and accompanying them as appropriate;
- Working closely with the Senior Philanthropy Advisor on strategy, preparing proposals and reports, and stewarding long-time individual major donors;
- Working closely with the Executive Director and EARTH’s overall development team to create new fundraising strategies and integrate them with University and alumni initiatives.
SKILLS and QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree is required;
- Proficiency in Spanish is highly desired;
- A genuine interest in and personal commitment to the mission and ideals of EARTH University and the ability to articulate its vision and programs in a compelling manner;
- 5+ years experience working with major donors and identifying, cultivating, and securing gifts at the $10,000 and higher level, in particular experience in developing relationships with new donors;
- Initiative and independence in carrying out responsibilities;
- Ability and desire to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and promote a positive working environment, spirit of cooperation, and flexibility to manage change;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills, both written and oral;
- Capacity to solve problems with a high degree of integrity, ethics, and dedication to the mission of the University;
- Excellent organizational skills with an ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines with accuracy;
- Detail-oriented, with strong analytical and planning skills;
- Experience working with Raiser’s Edge or other donor management software;
- Knowledge of or interest in topics related to EARTH, including Latin America, environmental or agricultural education, and sustainable development (preferred);
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally, approximately 20 to 30% of time including regular trips to EARTH University in Costa Rica;
- Candidate must be up-to-date with existing CDC COVID vaccination guidelines and be willing to follow future EARTH guidelines around both vaccination and mask utilization.
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience. To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to Crystal Reardon, Research & Development Operations Manager.
More information about EARTH University can be found at www.earth.ac.cr.
This job description/posting in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an «at will» relationship. EARTH University Foundation is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.