“The 1990s saw dramatic changes for the banana industry in Costa Rica. EARTH arrived with aggressive programs that challenged the modus operandi. They believed that progressive agriculture techniques that respected human and natural resources would work.”
Former general manager
Standard Fruit Company
A brief history of EARTH University™ Bananas
In the late 1980s, EARTH took hold of the property where the campus stands today, inheriting with it a commercial banana farm. Environmental consultants recommended closing down the farm, and while we listened to their arguments, we ignored their advice. We saw an opportunity to serve as an example to our students, to prove to the world that sustainability can be achieved, and to transform an industry.
Our commitment to social responsibility
We provide fair wages, safe working conditions and development opportunities. This commitment to social responsibility has earned our products the Whole Trade™ Guarantee.
EARTH’s environmental leadership
EARTH University™ Bananas are grown on our campus using innovative, environmentally-friendly practices for healthy, great-tasting fruit. Our bananas are Rainforest Alliance Certified and grown carbon neutral.
- Herbicide-free farm.
- Our banana farm is divided in blocks that are surrounded by forest, promoting biodiversity and healthy ecosystems.
- We convert production waste into paper and/or compost.
- We recycle the plastic bags and rope used in fields.
- The blue bags that protect our bananas during their growth are soaked in a chemical-free repellent made with garlic and hot pepper.
- We have planted ground covering in our drainage ditches to reduce erosion and prevent water contamination.
- We have reforested a boundary of 45 feet on either side of our rivers.
- Our innovative water filtration system in our packing plant allows us to reuse about 30% of our water.
- We use a chemical-free, organic fungicide to prevent crown-rot disease.
- We apply effective microorganisms to reduce the application of chemical fungicides on our farm.
WHERE TO BUY:
USA: Whole Foods Market
Costa Rica: Automercado, Fresh Market and AM PM grocery chains nationwide.